Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Truman, the Donkey




We purchased (I HATE to use that word for animals, it makes them sound like a commodity, a possession. Our animals are part of our family!) a "guard" donkey to keep coyotes from killing our goats. He has earned his keep; we haven't lost any since we got him. His name was already Truman, and we saw no need to change it. Rather funny, when you make the connection to the Democratic Party. (teehee!) I would never have guessed that donkeys could be so affectionate! Especially a six year old, un-neutered jack. But this guy is the SWEETEST ever! Watch out, Dale, you may have some serious competition here! Just joking, of course. He loves, loves, LOVES carrots, and if you hold pieces of them out in your opened hand, he will gently take them and look for more. He doesn't mind my hugs, and will follow you all about the barnyard, like the dogs and cats follow me around the yard. And he likes his head scratched. I feel bad that I didn't go out and visit him yesterday-had some business in town ( doctors appointment, grocery shopping, etc.) and just didn't get a "round tuit". Shame on me! I will be sure to go out to the barnyard today when it gets light. It's still dark outside now. We sure have to buy a lot of carrots......

No comments:

Post a Comment